Amazon is dedicated to supporting and empowering Black-owned businesses through its innovative program, the Black Business Accelerator (BBA). This initiative provides Black entrepreneurs with the necessary resources, mentorship, and financial support to succeed on Amazon’s platform. Here's an overview of the program and how to apply.
What is the Amazon Black Business Accelerator?
Amazon’s BBA aims to build sustainable equity and growth for Black-owned businesses. It was launched to address systemic barriers in retail and entrepreneurship faced by Black business owners. The program offers access to capital, business guidance, mentorship, and marketing support, helping these businesses thrive as sellers in Amazon’s store.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for the BBA, businesses must meet the following criteria:
Have a U.S. address in the fifty states, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
Sell physical products ready to be promoted and sold in Amazon's U.S. store.
Maintain an active Amazon Professional Seller account.
Have a valid minority-owned business registration or certification demonstrating the business is Black-owned.
Steps to Apply
- Create an Amazon Professional Seller Account: If you don’t have one, sign up for an Amazon Professional Seller account.
- Certify Your Business: Obtain a minority-owned business certification or register your business as minority-owned on platforms like the U.S. System for Award Management, U.S. Small Business Administration, or National Minority Supplier Development Council.
- Enroll in BBA: Visit the BBA landing page, click on “Get started,” and follow the instructions to enroll.
- Access Resources: After adding your certification to your selling account, explore the Black Business Accelerator Resource Center in Seller Central for resources, events, and opportunities.
Benefits of the Program
- Financial Assistance: Newly-registered Amazon Professional sellers receive a $500 credit. BBA participants can access Amazon services and grants, including $3,900 worth of credits for product imaging and advertising.
- Business Education and Coaching: Support specialists assist BBA sellers in launching and scaling their Amazon businesses.
- Marketing and Promotion: Enhanced visibility and discoverability through initiatives like the Black is Remarkable store on Amazon.
- Mentorship: Guidance and strategic business advice from experienced Amazon professionals.
Amazon has committed $150 million over four years to empower thousands of Black-owned businesses. This commitment includes cash grants, Amazon credits, and services to aid in business growth and customer acquisition.
The Amazon Black Business Accelerator is an excellent opportunity for Black entrepreneurs to gain access to the vast customer base on Amazon and grow their businesses. With financial support, business education, mentorship, and marketing assistance, Black business owners are positioned to overcome challenges and succeed in the competitive e-commerce space.